The task was find a simple, clear way to explicitly celebrate the presence of children in our worship on Sunday while at the same time giving new families the information they need about options — like our Family Room with the live stream of the service. Oh … and give the kids something to color on.
The result was this new card in the pews — in both English and Spanish — with space in the middle to “draw and wonder.” With thanks to all who collaborated on the concept, design and implementation, here’s the text:
Children are valued and nurtured here and we have a commitment to help them learn to worship. Worship provides an excellent opportunity for parents to be involved in the spiritual nurture of their children. Talk to them about the service and help them catch your enthusiasm and happiness about being in church.
To All Members of the Parish …
- The time we gather around the altar is one of the most important times in our worship. To a child it says ‘something special happens at God’s table.’
- A smile of encouragement is always welcome to parents with small, active children.
- During the peace, greet children as well as their parents.
To the Parents of Young Children …
- Relax! God put the wiggle in children; we don’t need to suppress it in God’s house.
- Sit near the front where it is easier for children to see and hear.
- Sing the hymns, pray and voice the responses. Children learn liturgical behavior by copying you. Feel free to quietly explain the parts of the service.
- If you need to leave with your child, please feel free to do so, but please come back especially to share in Communion. An usher can direct you to the Small Lounge, where you can change or feed your child and watch the service streaming.
Children in K-5th grade are invited to Children’s Chapel before the sermon at 9am & 11:15 a.m. They will return to receive Communion with their families.
Childcare is also available every Sunday from 8:30 a.m.–2:00 p.m. for infants, toddlers and preschool children. Ushers can direct you to our child care building.
For more information about Children, Youth and Families, please contact Jamie Hebert 626.583.2733.